As President and CEO of DPP, Elsa Holguín oversees all organization activities and, in consultation with the Board of Directors, provides direction and leadership toward the achievement of DPP’s overall mission, vision and strategic plan.
Elsa comes to DPP from Rose Community Foundation, where she served as the senior program officer for Child & Family Development for the past 21 years. Elsa played an instrumental role in the creation of Colorado’s Office of Early Childhood, the Denver Opportunity Youth Investment Initiative, the Latino Community Foundation of Colorado, Early Milestones Colorado and the Skills to Compete Coalition.
She currently chairs the Early Childhood Leadership Commission and the board of Borealis Philanthropy, and serves on the board of Tools of the Mind.
More about Elsa
- Hometown: Nuevo Casas Grandes, Chihuahua, Mexico.
- Education: M.A. in Public Administration from University of Colorado at Denver and B.S. in Finance from Metropolitan State University.
- First job: Janitor in downtown Denver where I supervised a team of 45 at age 17 because they needed a bilingual manager.
- What do you do in your spare time: Family time with husband and very large family. I also enjoy meditation, walking, gardening, and reading.
- What do you like best about living in Denver: The people – a welcoming community with great neighborhoods and amazing food.
- Favorite song to sing in the car: All kinds, I love music.
- Weirdest thing you have ever eaten: Dried, ground snake.
- Nickname: Elsita
- Favorite subject in school: Math.
- What did you want to be when you grew up: A scientist, I guess a social scientist is still in that category.
- If you were a crayon, what color would you be: Blue, the color of sea and sky.